Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts...

As tonight's title would suggest, my blog tonight has at least one part to do with coconut. But more on that in a bit.

First off, I was up bright and early this morning and got a great jumpstart on my day. Mostly because I had to due to needing to get a headshot into the paper as soon as possible. Which resulted in my rushing to campus, meeting seven thousand people at the SUB, including Lauchlin (sp?) and Danielle. Danielle, the one who I can neither confirm nor deny eats babies, and is form my hometown and also works with the paper took my headshot with an apple, which will be there for all to see next week in the Xavarian Weekly. Which reminds me, I need to write up another article for them. I'll figure out a topic I'm sure.

After that, I came home, watched some of 'The Jeffersons' in their deluxe apartment in the sky. Laughed a lot. It was truly a great. Afterwhich I spray-painted my costume silver (and inhaled enough carcinogens to do me for the next five years I'm sure). But the costume is more-or-less done and it looks great. Hopefully I'll finally grab some batteries tomorrow, so there'll be pictures that I can post up here and on facebook for all to see. I call it my Awesometastic Robot From Mars.

From there, read an article, went to class. Spoke of Ethics with a guest lecturer who did (and continues to) do extensive research in Peru. She had photos and stories and all sorts of interesting situations that were quite fantastic and insightful.

Afterwhich I came home, and used the leftover curry I had from the other night to make a couple of wraps which were quite tasty. Filled me up enough for Humans and the Environment where we really focused in on the topic I'm really most passionate about, and that's integrated resource management or IRM. It's one fo the best concepts out there right now for managing our natural resources in a sustainable way with minimum impact to the ecosystems that surround us. Which appeals to me, because it leaves many processes to nature, without human interference, which is the way these ecosystems should work in order to maintain biodiversity and be allowed to evolve and remain healthy undisturbed.

I attempted to visit some friends after class, but they weren't home so I came home and watched some of the Biggest Loser with my roomate and her boyfriend. Afterwhich I came to the two discoveries I made tonight.

I was a bit hungry, so I decided to whip myself up a bowl of porridge. And while mixing the normal ingredients (quick oats, large oats, almond milk, almonds, walnuts, flaxseed, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup) I saw my bag of shaved coconut just sitting there completely unused. So I grabbed it, and tossed in about a teaspoon's worth - just to see what would happen. To my amazement and delight, it brings a lovely touch to the porridge and will make it in more often methinks. Discovery number two has to do with pure vanilla. It burns when taken on its own. Just a warning to you all. I got a couple drops on my finger, so I licked it off and wow. It was a funny moment if anyone would've seen me in the kitchen.

If you'd like more information on coconut and its health benefits, type in 'coconut health' into Google and it brings up a plethora of results. Quite amazing really, I've been scanning it over and it seems to be another one of those miraculous foods that suits humanity quite well. In many forms, from the meat to the milk to the oils, coconut is a very versatile fruit. I would suggest everyone go out and get some, and try to work it into their diet's somehow. Either as some sort of snack, or adding it your cooking repertoire. I'm going to continue my investigation into the coconut and let you all know what I find.

And with that, I am at the end of my day. I'll be grocery shopping by the end of the week, and we'll see what new and adventurous foods I'll discover and try. Hopefully I'll grab a fresh coconut or two and I'll be able to experiment over the weekend.

Cheers all

No comments: